top of page

Your Voice Counts Advocacy Services

Independent Care Act Advocacy (ICAA)

Information for professionals

Who is Independent Care Act Advocacy for?

A person is entitled to an advocate if they have "substantial difficulty" taking part in one or more of the following (either because they have problems understanding the relevant information or because they have difficulty expressing their views):

  • A social care assessment or review

  • Agreeing a social care support plan

  • A safeguarding enquiry or safeguarding process because they are felt to be at risk of abuse or neglect     

  • A carer’s assessment

What areas does the service cover?

Our service covers Newcastle, Gateshead and South Tyneside where we can provide Care Act advocacy for any eligible person whose social care is provided by Newcastle, Gateshead or South Tyneside local authorities or where one of these local authorities is carrying out safeguarding enquiries or processes for an adult believed to be at risk of abuse or neglect.

Who can refer and how?

We can only accept Care Act referrals under The Care Act from local authority social care staff and safeguarding teams in Newcastle, Gateshead and South Tyneside.

*Referrers should note that advocacy support under The Care Act is optional and that referrals should only be made after first discussing with their client and agreeing that the person wants advocacy support.

How can I make a referral?

Referrals to this service can only be made by the local authority so please contact them to discuss a referral.

For more information or advice about a referral, please contact us.

bottom of page