top of page

NHS Complaints Advocacy Gateshead

Your Voice Counts are the new provider for NHS Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) in Gateshead.


The NHS Independent Complaints Advocacy will provide you with practical support and information if you want to make a complaint about an NHS service that you, or someone you know, have received.


This service was provided by Carers Federation up until 31st March 2022.

Information for clients who were being supported by Carers Federation


At Your Voice Counts, providing person-centred support is one of our core values. We understand that it can be worrying when your Advocacy service provider changes and we are committed to supporting you through this process. We have agreed the steps below with the Carers Federation:


  1. Carers Federation will send you a letter to notify you that Your Voice Counts are the new provider for NHS Independent Complaints Advocacy in Gateshead.

  2. If you wish to continue to receive NHS Independent Complaints Advocacy support, Carers Federation need your consent to transfer your records to us.   

  3. Once we receive your records, we will contact you directly to discuss your ongoing support.


If you have any queries in the meantime please don’t hesitate to call us for free on 0800 048 7856.


If you are a Gateshead resident and wish to seek NHS Independent Complaints Advocacy information or support


If you live in Gateshead and wish to access NHS Independent Complaints Advocacy support or if you would like to find out more information please call for free 0800 048 7856.

What is NHS Complaints Advocacy?


If you feel unhappy about an NHS service you have received and you want to make a complaint, you are legally entitled to help from an advocacy service. Our advocates will support you to do as much as you can for yourself. They cannot make a complaint on your behalf or give you legal or medical advice. Our advocates can sometimes attend complaint resolution meetings with you, if you find it difficult to say what you want to say.

​Who can we help and how we can help you.


If you live in Gateshead, you can get personal support from one of our advocates. If you don’t live in Gateshead, contact your local council who will tell you who provides your local NHS complaints advocacy service. 


Not everyone making a complaint about the NHS will need an advocate. sometimes, you may just need some information. If you decide you want to make a complaint yourself you may find our Self-Help Information Pack useful. You can download our Self-Help Information Pack below: 



How do I get support from an Advocate?


If you decide that you would like the support of an advocate, please complete and return our referral form either by email: or by post to:

Your Voice Counts

14-16 Greenesfield Business Centre

Mulgrave Terrace





You can also make a referral for someone else, but please get their permission first. If you need further information or support, call for free on 0800 048 7856. Lines are open between 9 am and 5 pm Monday to Friday. An answerphone operates outside of these times.  

One-to-one advocacy support. 


The role of an advocate is to support you through the NHS complaints procedure. Advocates can assist with things such as helping you to draft letters, preparing with you for complaints meetings, liaising with complaints teams for you and giving you support and guidance on the NHS complaints procedure.  


What we can’t help with: 

  • If the complaint happened over 12 months ago, it may not be investigated  

  • We don’t provide legal or medical advice 

  • You advocate will not tell you what to do or try to persuade you to take a particular course of action  

  • Getting an NHS employee disciplined  

  • Complaints about services not funded by the NHS.  


Our Leaflets:

NHS ICAS Referral Form – word 

NHS ICAS Consent Form  

NHS ICAS Self Help Information Pack – April 2022  

How to complain guide - PDF

How to complain guide - Easy Read - PDF

The Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman - guide - PDF

Writing a complaint letter - guide - Word

Useful resources 


You can find out more information about your rights and what to expect in the NHS Constitution for England and the NHS complaints guidance here.

The NHS Choices website also has information about feedback and complaints on its website, find our more here.

If you have already made your complaint and received a response which you remain unhappy with, you may wish to contact the Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman who make final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England.  More information can be found here.

Watch this short video to find out more.

NHSinform Feedback: your complaints and rights BSL - YouTube

bottom of page